Monday, December 12, 2011

Long Walk


I went for a long walk today. All told, I probably clocked in over 10 kilometers. I walked downtown, wandering through little streets, quaint neighborhoods, and dirty alleys.

It was empowering to walk from downtown out to my apartment. What previously felt like a long trip requiring a bus or auto became much smaller. The weather was fair, the streets were dusty, and the traffic loud. At one point on a long stretch of pedestrian-unfriendly road, a gentleman on a scooter offered me a lift. I thanked him kindly but declined. We smiled to each other and I kept on my little journey.

Back in the states, going for a walk means going to the park and walking around for a bit before returning home. I find that I have this internal disgust to 'pointless' walking around the park. I feel like a hamster spinning his wheel, frantically going nowhere.

Here, walking is a mode of transportation. I walk to the canteen for food. I walk to the shops for supplies. I walk to the bus stop, to catch a bus downtown... so I can walk another 2 kilometers to the office.



I feel like walking introduces exercise into my life in constructive ways. In the states, so many people eliminate and automate the things that keep us healthy. We become lazy with cars, and therefore we drive to the gym to get fit again, only to complain when we can't get a good parking spot and have to walk just a little further then we like.

And I got to see monkeys. :)

-- Sent from webOS

No comments:

Post a Comment